We have regular salsa & bachata classes at our Amar Colony Lajpat Nagar studio. Call us and turn up for a trial class and to meet DDA’s multi-award winning Salsa instructor Meraz Alam. The style of Salsa taught at Delhi Dance Academy is LA Style with Afro Cuban movements.
Timetable and locations for existing and NEW batches:-
Regularly updated schedule for all Amar Colony, Delhi classes is available at: Delhi Dance Classes Schedule.
Saturday and Sunday – 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm. IMPROVERS ENROLLING
Saturday and Sunday – 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm. BEGINNERS ENROLLING
Tuesday and Thursday – 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm BEGINNERS ENROLLING
Fee for Salsa & Bachata Classes (2 hours every week)
Monthly – Rs.3000
Rs.9000 Rs.7000 (saving of Rs.2000)
Half Yearly –
Rs.18000 Rs.12000 (saving of Rs.6000)
Rs.36000 Rs.20000 (saving of Rs.16000)
Salsa class studio location: Amar Colony Delhi
Salsa is known to have emerged from the Afro-Cuban Rumba and Son dancing styles in the period around 1940. There are various styles of salsa. The characteristics that identify a style include timing, body movement, foot patterns, body rolls, attitude, the way two partners hold each other, etc. The different Salsa styles include Colombian/Cali style, Cuban “Casino” style, Miami style, Rueda de style, Los Angeles style and New York style. A partnership of two people can go on to create amazing experiences and memories with the beautiful art of salsa dancing.
Salsa in Delhi:
Being a very interesting yet challenging form of dance, salsa doesn’t have a very large number of training institutes in Delhi. As a salsa learner, it is important for you to ensure that your trainer is a great salsa dancer himself/herself. Salsa requires a mix of physical synchronization and mental harmony between two partners so as to achieve the desired results of good chemistry and great performance. Hence, in order to enjoy the salsa dance thoroughly, it is advisable to choose a partner with whom you have a good rapport. At Delhi Dance Academy you’re not assigned a particular partner, instead, you’re shuffling between all the members of the class, which is why it is not mandatory to have a partner. The couple holds onto each other, with the follower reading every change in the leader’s position as a signal for the next move. As long as there is a roughly equal number of guys and girls, we won’t refuse admission to single girls and guys. We at Delhi Dance Academy believe in aiming to make you fall in love with the dance form that you’re learning so as to be able to master its technique and use it to perform wonders.
Admission Process at Delhi Dance Academy
If you want to join a Salsa class at DDA, please call us or drop in, at the Amar Colony centre (E238 Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar 4 – details and driving directions). You will need to fill the registration form and pay a trial class fee of Rs 300. Once you do that, a Delhi Dance Academy member will give you a call to let you know when you can come to your trial class. This is done to ensure that we have a proper pairing. Say if you’re a girl, then we’ll give you a call when we have a gentleman, also ready to start, so the pair is ready formed. You will be asked to come for the trial within one and a half weeks. We are one of Delhi’s most renowned Salsa training institutes, so there are very little chances that we won’t be able to pair you. In a rare case that we can’t, we will refund your money. People coming in couples can start straight away without having to wait. Once you come: When you arrive at the centre for your Salsa trial, you will be given a 1-hour salsa class after which you’ll be asked if you want to join. If you decide to join, then you will be required to pay the remaining fee (excluding the Rs 300 that you’ve already paid) and your month will start from the next class onwards making the first trial class FREE.
Social Dancing Nights in Delhi by Delhi Dance Academy:
Salsa, Bachata & Kizomba Socials-
One of the most enticing dance forms with its genesis in the West, social dance has gained international acceptance monumentally in the last few decades. It was quite recently that Indians started warming up to social dancing and nights celebrating these dance forms. Social dance forms are popularly considered as partner dances, and are highly intimate dance styles, as you can absorb from the video itself. The affectionate side of social dancing is perhaps the reason why social folks look forward to attending social nights more and more, and also link such events to uplifting emotions and positivity. Mostly, dancers who attend these nights know how to navigate the geography of the wooden floor in relation to their skills. Are you a slow, nervous or a non-dancer who tend to sideline yourself but really want to give it a shot? Believe us when we say this, the vibes of social dancing events conquer your fear of not being good at it. Yes, you definitely have the subtle option to watch around while you enjoy your meal at the club. But, with Delhi Dance Academy’s Hot Latin Nights conducted at the Agni Club, New Delhi every Friday, it is just not easy to head off the dancers and the mood that they stir into the surroundings. Not to forget, the efficacious music that is exclusively laid out by DJ Addy, who, on other days, is known as Aditya Sarmah and the co-director of DDA. He has his own collection of more than 5000 recordings of Latin music from his DJ console. Whoa!
Partner or no partner, experienced or novice, these social dancing nights are open to all. If you need some basic learning, we at Delhi Dance Academy are happy to prepare you for the same. If you have ne’er taken a social dancing class or are not much confident about doing it, especially with your partner who you have always wanted to impress with your dance skills, we invite you to enroll for our studio or online classes and ace the basics just within a month. Get accurate hold of the rhythms played during social dancing nights with DDA’s special Salsa / Bachata / Kizomba batches that we run throughout the week. And hey, if you’re single and afraid to attend these social nights without a partner, we suggest you must visit these nights. Not all life partners meet on a matrimony site, some also find theirs in a social night. Just saying 😀 Now that you know how you can attend our social nights, we look forward to seeing you with your favorite chinos, strappy heels, and confidence on the dance floor at the Agni Club.
Benefits of Salsa Dancing:
2)The psychological benefits are also impressive. For decades, some therapists have prescribed dancing as an effective therapy for those who suffer from social anxiety or fear of public speaking. The idea: if you can loosen up enough to boogie in front of strangers, you’re a lot less likely to feel self-conscious when hanging out or speaking in front of an audience.
3)As suggested by a study from the University of Oxford, dancing seems to encourage social bonding. Like many a time it happens while chatting with a stranger we find out that both of us attended the same school or grew up in the same neighbourhood, similarly, moving and grooving in rhythm with others in a group class, lights up the brain pathways that blur the barriers our mind erects between ourselves and a stranger and so helps us feel a sense of connection and sameness.
4) Recent studies that compared the neurological effects of social dancing with those of walking/swimming or any such other physical activities suggests that there may be something unique about learning a social dance. The demand, it places, on the mind and body could make it unusually potent at slowing some of the changes in our skulls that seem otherwise inevitable with ageing. It seems likely that the cognitive demands of the dancing, which require people to learn and master new choreography in the group classes, improve the processing speed and memory of our brain.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I join without a partner? Yes, as long as there is an equal girls/guys ratio, we’ll admit you.
2. Which centres do you have Salsa in? We have Salsa in our Amar Colony centre: E 238, Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar, New Delhi.
3. Can I take private Salsa classes? Yes, for approx. Rs 3500 per hour per couple you can. You will need to call us to fix a time as the instructors are usually very busy and we have to book them well in advance.
4. If I’m joining Salsa, how will I catch up with the rest of the students in my batch? Salsa is a couple’s dance form and in one batch you can have 5 different couples learning and practising 5 different moves. You will get the individual attention you need from the instructor and assistant instructor.
5. I am absolutely new to dance and have never done Salsa, can I still join? Yes, our beginner’s batches are designed for absolute beginners and we are here to train you. Don’t worry, everyone started at some point and this is a good time to start. 🙂
6. Please tell me about the course. Beginner’s Level A is a 3-month certificate course at DDA for beginners. You must maintain a 75% attendance and in 3 months you will learn all basic Salsa steps and a few Salsa dance choreographies. The fee per month is Rs 3000 but if you pay for the 3-month course altogether, then you will pay Rs 7000. The certificate is given on request 2 weeks after the completion of the course and after your final test/audition. Following the LEVEL A course is LEVEL B (Improvers) and LEVEL C (Intermediate) courses.
Any other questions, please fill in the form below:-