LOVE DANCING? For tourists who are looking to gain an insight into the Indian dance scene or who generally want to have fun dancing for 2 hours, this is a “must do” to get introduced to 3 new Indian dance forms and get a video recorded in full Bollywood attire to take away as a souvenir.
- E238 Amar Colony, Lajpat Nagar 4 (closest Metro stations: Moolchand and Kailash Colony) opposite Tagore International School.
London Locations (click here for the Namaste India Dance Workshop London page – Temporarily On Hold):
- Mela Indian Restaurant, 152 – 156 Shaftesbury Avenue, London, WC2H 8HL. 11am to 1pm Monday to Friday.
- Salt Whiskey Bar and Dining room, 82 Seymour St, London W2 2JB. 12pm to 2pm Saturday and Sunday.
The Namaste India Dance Workshop – A 2 Hour Dance Workshop Designed for Foreigners and Travellers
Details: This special workshop is designed for tourists who are travelling in and exploring India and is called “The Namaste India Dance Workshop”. It is a 2 hour crash course on 3 different Indian dances where we teach our guests Bollywood, Bhangra and Dandiya (an Indian folk dance). We teach Bollywood for an hour and Bhangra/Dandiya for 30 minutes each. We then record a 2 minute video with you performing all 3 dance forms and upload as a private video (a video that can be only viewed by you) on Youtube for you to watch and share when you go back home. This can take upto 4 weeks to be sent to you.
Mentions around the World!
This activity is featured on all Emirates International Websites on the “Flight to Delhi”.
“Here is the experience of Stefan and Sebastien of www.nomadicboys.com of their Namaste India Dance Workshop with us in October, 2014 when they were dancing in Delhi” – Dancing in Delhi.
Amongst the 11 Unusual Things to do in Delhi by About.com!
Editor’s Pick Timeout Delhi
Featured Amongst the “top 10 things to do in Delhi” by Guardian Newspaper
Rs 3000 per person without costumes
Rs 3500 per person with costume hire
(costumes rented for the duration of the workshop – only available for bookings made at least 1 week in advance)
- Guests arrive at Delhi Dance Academy’s center 15 minutes before the start of the workshop.
- Guests register for the workshop by filling out a form, providing a copy of the passport and paying.
- The manager gives a little history of the dance forms that they will learn today.
- The guests are introduced to the instructors who will conduct the workshop.
- If the workshop is a full costume workshop, then the guests change into the Indian costumes provided on arrival.
- The workshop begins with 60 minutes dedicated to the first genre which can be one of the following 3 – Bollywood, Bhangra or Dandiya.
- In the first 60 minutes, the guests learn about 60 seconds of dance choreography.
- This is then repeated twice for shorter intervals, creating a total dance choreography of about 2 mins. This includes a brief drink/snacks break where the guests are offered soft drinks or sandwiches.
- After completion, the approximate 2 mins of dancing is recorded with an HD camera and a pic with the instructors is clicked.
- This raw footage is then edited and sent to the guests within 4 weeks of being shot.
- Guests leave having explored a few Indian dance forms and knowing about their origins and history.
- Since Delhi Dance Academy conducts regular classes in these dance forms, guests can choose to take regular dance lessons in their chosen dance form. The latest schedule will be available in the office.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Do I need dance experience to participate in the workshop or do I need to be a good dancer? Answer: No, the dance workshop is for everyone and the intention is to give you an insight into the history and styles of dance forms that originated in India. We design the choreography based on your ability to pick up moves. The instructors are good at gauging what would be doable for you and will teach you moves that you will be able to do in the 25 mins. You don’t need prior dance experience, but having good body-music coordination (where you can follow the beat) helps.
- How do I book? Answer: To book, simply call 08377053325 (Nazir) or 09953835088 (Anant). We will check studio availability on your preferred date and confirm the booking. You can also give any special requirements at the time of booking. If booking is not immediate, you can also email us on firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com with your preferred dates.
- How many people minimum and maximum please? Answer: Minimum 1 person, maximum 20 people (because of limited studio space). For very large groups, please call and discuss as we will need to hire an external venue to conduct the workshop and will incur extra charges.
- Will there be other people taking the workshop with me? Most of the time it will be you and/or your group one on one with the instructors. There will not be any other people in your session usually. However, in case of busy times we may book other people in the same time-slot as you. If you prefer to do the workshop alone or only with your group, please mention that at the time of making the booking.
You can choose from any of the following timings for your workshop:
- 11 am to 1 pm
- 12 pm to 2 pm
- 1 pm to 3 pm
- 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm only
Variations for individual Workshop takers
We can arrange a mini version of this workshop for 1 hour where we can teach just 2 dance forms most commonly Bollywood and Dandiya. This is priced at Rs 1200 per person without costume hire or Rs 2000 per person with costume hire. This is ideal for individual bookings. We have received wide acclaim for our brand new Namaste India Workshops and some raving testimonials! Come and learn something new!
Brad and I would love to thank all the guys at the Academy for giving us an amazing workout and a fantastically fun story for our holiday from Australia. We Had a wonderful time learning the different dances in our Bollywood Dance Class. You were all very welcoming, and made us both fell very welcome. We would also like to send a special thanks to our wonderful dance instructor who was very talented and patient with both of us especially with Brad who was being a wonderful fiance and participating because I was so excited to do the class. We had a fun time, great dances, laughs, and wonderful people, Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We look forward to seeing the video. -Thank you Jacqui and Brad xxoo
I had a lot of fun attending the dance session last week, many thanks and hope to see you guys again in the near future, i hv just posted the session's video on my facebook, have a good day guys =) - Raynard